PLEASE DONATE /EVEN A BUCK!!!!!

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

MEDIA AND SKIING

The subject that I would like to address today is the way that skiers are portrayed in the media..A lot of people I talk to, whether it's relatives or gapers that don't know much about the sport, don't even know that big mountain competitions exist. The only thing that people are aware of nowadays is the x-games sports. I am glad to see that people are finally able to make a lot of money being a skier or snowboarder, but why do jibbers make so much $ compared to big mountain skiers? Remember when the world extreme championships were televised in the beginning? I think that skiing was in a stagnant stage back then and that's why it didn't take off. Now that skiing has drawn in a younger crowd and is cool again I think if the powers that be were to televise a few big mountain comps the sponsors would take note and more prize money would begin to filter in. Don't get me wrong it's cool to see some of the things kids are doing in the park and pipe but I think a lot of us can agree....that's not skiing. although some of those guys are decent freeriders most of them are glorified snowbladers, so why give them all the fortune and fame when their sport is a baby in the womb of big mountain skiing..

No comments: